Sunday, October 31, 2010

TV Shows

So.... TV is TV right? Well i guess it depends on what you watch. There's reality shows, sitcoms, soaps, kids tv etc.
In England I used to watch a few soaps, such as Neighbours, Home And Away and several from the past that I don't remember. I also used to watch some American shows that aired there, such as Beverly Hills and Melrose place. These shows aired frequently but they were a little bit behind as compared to the US.
When I moved to the UK I was disappointed that my English soaps didn't air here. Eastenders, an English soap was found on a channel called BBC America. This channel aired some British comedy shows and some soaps - but unfortunately none that I watched. Although, i was able to pick up with my American soaps.
Its disappointing that not more English shows are aired here. I hear all the time from my friends and family in London about English soaps, reality and comedy shows which are on TV and sadly, they don't air here. The American people that I know who do watch shows on BBC America tell me that they enjoy the English shows, and so I think that if more English shows are shown here, they would be popular. Not everyone has BBC America and so not only is there very little access, but only a few shows which air. A few years ago BBC America discontinued showing Eastenders which was very sad, however later on Dish network put it on a Pay per view as an omnibus weekly. So eventhough I didn't watch Eastenders much when I was living in London, I am totally and 100% hooked on Eastenders here. I love it. More so because it helps me to remember my root, and for 2 hours a week its almost like I am back in England surrounded by people who 'talk like me' and I'm taken back to Walford square.

Its only a shame that I can't share this with my American friends, can't discuss what happened in the latest episode. And it is a month behind UK - so I really can't share it with my English friends lol... but I am glad to watch it anyway.

I do think it would be advantageous to put more English shows on TV and make them available, just as in the UK all of the popular American shows air there.

Its funny though because for some shows - there are different versions. For example, big brother. A few years ago I was in England and was hooked on Big Brother and then when I came back here, I saw Big Brother was in TV and I was excited, but it turned out to be a different kind. There are also different American Idols, although the American one also airs in the UK. Funny - huh?

But whether it is American shows like 90210 or Grey's Anatomy or English shows like Eastenders. I like them all and glad I have the experience to taste them both, because I like both cultures, and they are both a part of me because I am an English Yankee!

No comments:

Post a Comment