Saturday, October 16, 2010

Thanksgiving......

For my English friends.... thanksgiving is on the 3rd Thursday in November. It is a day when families get together, eat a turkey dinner, and give thanks. It is actually in celebration of the pilgrims and their arrival. Here is a link for those that are interested: http://www.thanksgiving-day.org/origin-thanksgiving-day.html
Anyway - this day has always been strange for me because of course it is not what I am used to. I am thankful for my friends and family etc.. but of course since I was not brought up here I have yet to be absorbed in the whole holiday. Although my sister does like to celebrate this day, especially because of her kids who were born in the US and so we usually do a dinner and get together etc.
Its a good idea though - a special day that families get together, and people sometimes travel to other parts of the world, fly, and drive just to be with their families.
I've heard that some people use it as an opportunity to find out what to buy kids for Christmas - u know the families that are usually traveling from abroad or further away and once they know what the kids want... the next day is Black Friday. We used to call is Green Friday at a place I once worked (either Kay Bee toys or Claire's) the Green came in because money is green. On this day the stores open super early and have incredible sales. Those of you who know me best know that I hate waking up early but I do love to shop. So on this one day of the year, I set my alarm to 4am and I wait outside for the shops to open. There are some stores that have such incredible deals that people actually sleep outside, because there are only a limited amount of these items (such as TV's for 90% off or something).
The whole holiday is something kind of interesting and of course learning to appreciate it since I do live in America now. And of course no matter where I am, no matter where this English Yankee is from - I will always be thankful for my friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment