Thursday, October 28, 2010

Halloween in America

I was talking to a good friend of mine in England and I asked her what she was doing for Halloween. She reminded me that Halloween wasn't really celebrated much in England., and the only thing that really took place was lots of annoying kids knocking on doors. Well that happens here.. but a lot more too.
It definitely took me by surprise when I moved here because I wasn't used to the grandiosity.

Houses are decorated for Halloween with ghosts, skeletons, spiders etc. Lights are put up.



Pumpkins are carved and then a candle is placed inside as decoration. There are usually pumpkin carving competitions.


People dress up, have parties, go to parties. Not just kids but adults too. Of course kids also go trick or treating just like they do in England and collect candy, money etc.

Theme parks, like Disney, Busch Gardens, and Universal studios have Halloween themes evenings where you pay an extra fee and get to go to the park in the evening and enjoy a Halloween inspired evening at the park.

Candy apples, bobbing for apples, ghost stories, horror films, ghost tours, bonfires are other things that may be included for an American Halloween.



As for me - what do I do. Its weird because 15 years ago my sister and I were taking the neighbour's kids trick or treating. I said to my sister 'what shall I dress up as?' She said to me 'don't be so dumb - you're too old to dress up.' 15 years later she is dressing up. I've dressed up for work before, and last year I dressed up to take my niece trick or treating. It just goes to show how things change.


No comments:

Post a Comment