Tuesday, May 3, 2011

blouse, shirt, sweater, cardigans, jacket = all the same right?

The difference in terminology for the upper garment clothing made shopping with my cousin challenging to say the least lol. We survived.
Blouse (UK) = shirt (US)
Shirt (US) = T-shirt (UK)
Confused yet?
If its a nice top, its called a blouse in England. But in America we call that a shirt. But what's called a shirt in London is actually a T shirt. So when I yelled at her to come and look at a 'shirt' she was wondering why I was calling a blouse a shirt.

Similiarly in England a jacket is a heavy thick thing that people wear in extreme cold, but what we call a jacket is a light full length zip up hoodie that I may grab to take to the movies with me (see picture)



So if you like to shop make sure you know the differences when you visit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment