Thursday, December 2, 2010

Christmas and all its bling....London

Christmas is Christmas no matter which country you live in... but the way in which it is celebrated, displayed and decorated can differ...

I remember growing up in London and I knew Christmas was coming not by the weather because it was cold sometimes as early as September... but I knew Christmas was coming by the gifts and the decorations in the 4 floors of Debenhams in the shopping centre I would often reside. The splash of red and green was the indication of Christmas that began to greet me faster than the month of December itself.
Shortly after that the festive colors would start to spread in other stores and then the bright colored light would appear as well as the multiplication of gifts being sold in the stores.
Decoration was minimal (to my memory), or at least compared to what I see now.

Some houses were decorated for the holidays with lights etc.



The best and most elaborate display of Christmas was the Christmas lights in the City of London, most specifically Regent Street etc... Huge department stores would be eloquently displayed with a story and a message. Twinkling colorful lights would be everywhere. I cannot illustrate the bright colors by just my descriptions alone so a picture is the only thing that would do it justice.


Above is a department store called 'The house of fraser' and lights have been showered over this building.


This picture shows the streets of Regent street with its illustrious display of color and christmas festivities. It is usually a tradition for someone of 'certain esteem' to be the one who switches the christmas lights annually.

I remember my parents taking my sister and I out one evening during the christmas season and we would sit in the backseat with a blanket wrapped over us and we would look at all the christmas lights. We never wanted to get out and see them though - it was too cold lol...

To me, this is part of the magic of christmas. The lights, the festivities, but most of all the traditions that we look forward to, and expect year to year.

1 comment:

  1. i love the Christmas lights in London...the ones in Regent Street and Oxford Street are always switched on by a celebrity, so its quite a big thing.

    ReplyDelete