Thursday, January 31, 2013

Watching TV and ..... getting confused

So a good American friend of ours recently asked me a question. He said 'do English people who watch American TV in the UK, ever wonder about thanksgiving.' Most of the American typical shows, Grey's anatomy, Gossip Girl, 90210 etc.. are also popular in the UK and typically these shows will feature a special thanksgiving and Christmas episode although due to lag of scheduling, the timing of the shows most likely does not correspond as nicely with the holidays as it does with us in the US. However - back to the question, do people in England ever watch an American show and wonder what is all this thanksgiving. Well - living in London I had previously been a prisoner to the hype of the American shows, back then it was Beverly Hills, Melrose place, Gilmore girls etc and I did notice that there was some kind of thanksgiving event that happened in American. It seemed to me that it was about family getting together with a lot of food. I'm not sure if it is really analyzed or thought about it. I'm sure the curious would google thanksgiving or perhaps just figure out its meaning from the concepts that they would see because I know for years I had been watching American TV and thought nothing of it. Well maybe its because I multitask when I watch TV and maybe I didn't pay as much attention.... lol just kidding.
That's all for now... be back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment